Healthy Recipe: Zucchini Bread Muffins
These zucchini bread muffins are seriously nutritious, tasty, and are a great way to sneak some extra green veggies into your family’s diet. Perfect for back-to-school, bake this batter into muffin tins for a fantastic breakfast or snack on the run.
The average muffin has over 400 calories, is high in sugar, and full of low-quality fats. However these clock in at only 230 calories, have only 2g of sugar, and are rich in fiber, protein, and whole grains. Eat plain, or top with your favorite nut butter, and you have one filling snack that won’t leave you hungry or cranky!
This recipe really packs in the zucchini, making this recipe rich in potassium, manganese, vitamin C, and vitamin A. Zucchini is also rich in phytochemicals that help to fight inflammation and oxidative stress. Despite being nutrient-dense, even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy taking these muffins to school (or work)!
-1.5 cup firmly packed grated zucchini
-1/2 cup coconut, olive, or avocado oil
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-2 TB honey
-1 c. vanilla protein powder
-1 c. whole wheat flour
-1/2 c. whole oats
-2 tsp. cinnamon
-1 tsp. nutmeg
-1 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. baking soda
-1 tsp. baking powder
-3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1. Grate zucchini with a hand grater until you have approximately 2 cups. Let the grated zucchini sit in a bowl for 5 minutes to let the excess water drain, and squeeze dry with your hands or a dish towel.
2. In a large bowl, combine zucchini, eggs, vanilla extract, oil, and honey. Mix until fully combined.
3. Gently fold all dry ingredients into the wet mixture until just barely combined.
4. Fold in ½ cup of walnuts, and set aside the leftover.
5. In a greased muffin tin, evenly divide the batter. op off the muffins with the leftover walnuts.
6. Bake in a 350 degree oven until golden brown and tops are firm; approximately 20 minutes.
7. Let cool before removing from the tin, and store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information – makes 12 large muffins
230 calories, 14.6g fat, 15g carbohydrates, 10g protein